So much has been said and written about cloud computing. Almost every IT provider claims to have a cloud service, and sure, competition is good, but with the large and confusing supply, it’s time to get your priorities straight. A real cloud service MUST contain the following elements:
- Uncompromising security. IoT holds great potential to dominate almost every industry in the next few years. But one thing is holding many enthusiasts back – Security. Allow me to shatter a well known myth – reputable cloud service providers place security in top priority. Data centers are physically secured, and the network, servers and storage are separated.
- It does NOT cost a fortune. No need to invest money in servers and infrastructure. When using a reliable external cloud service provider, you avoid maintenance expenses and unnecessary time waste.
- Pay as you go. Paying in advance or any agreement/commitment is unacceptable. You should be paying only for what you’re actually consuming, with flexibility to choose the pricing plan that’s the right fit for your business.
- Fast to market. Operate maximum server capacity in minutes instead of waiting for resources.
- Scale – The IoT magic word. Needless to say, you want your business to grow with more and more connected devices. A cloud service provider should enable the flexibility to adjust capacity easily. Get rid of unused capacity and scale when needed fast.
If one of the above does not apply in the cloud service you are using, sorry to break it to you, it is not a cloud service. The biggest IoT business opportunities lie in the cloud with the amount of data it holds. That’s why it is crucial to choose your platform wisely, making sure it’s secure, not expensive and flexible.